Abayomi, a name of African origins, means ”bringer of happiness”. So, you can be sure this little lion will bring your family and friends much joy and hours of play…
Inspired from Sharon Ojala’s Little Bigfoot Lion, this little guy is twice as tall when using worsted weight yarn (approx. 12”or 30cm tall) and the same height when using cotton thread #10 (approx. 5” or 12.7cm tall). Use your favourite yarn and matching hook size to create your perfect lion. Make both lions for a fun lion family!
This CAL will run from August 30th to September 17th for a total of 3 weeks with new parts post on Sundays and Thursdays. Feel free to join in at anytime and go at your own pace. I’ll be with you every step of the way if you need anything at all.
At the end of this CAL, we'll have a peer voting contest, where anyone who sends me pictures of their Abayomi Lion will have a chance to win a FREE patterns! More details on this will be coming on Sunday, September 20th... Stay tuned!
Already completed this step? Move on to Amigurumi Abayomi Lion CAL Part 2 (link will activate on Thursday, September 3rd, 2015), where we will crochet the arms, legs and tail, or check out the full schedule for this CAL below...
Gauge is not important for this pattern. Use any yarn weight you like. The only important thing is to use a hook size that produces tight stitches.
- Cotton Thread #10 makes a 5" (12cm) tall lion.
- Worsted Weight Yarn makes a 12" (30cm) tall lion.
Pattern Notes & Tips:
Incorporating them as you crochet helps save time and is much easier than trying to find the perfect spot to sew them on later. Complete written instructions and photo tutorials are also included to show you just how to attach them as you crochet, and tips are included for placement if you prefer the sewing option.
- You should know how to do increases/decreases and how to work into a magic circle. You should also be familiar with working in front loops or back loops.
- Side facing you as you crochet each part equals the inside/WS. This means the side facing out is the RS. The only exception to this is when you crochet the ears. ODD rows of the ears equal the RS.
- Crochet in continuous rnds unless directed to do otherwise.
- When crocheting the respective pieces onto the body or head, always insert the hook into the body or head stitch(es) first.
- Use an invisible decrease for the sc2tog stitches. Do this by only inserting your hook into the BLs of the 2 sts. Then, work a sc as you would normally. See this video tutorial here
- Main colour (MC) used for the demo lion is yellow. Alternative colour (AC) used for the demo lion is a variegated brown. Use whatever colours you prefer.
- Stuff your lion more than you think you’ll need because the fiberfill will condense over time.
- If you are a beginner, you may find it easier to stuff your lion pieces little by little as you work them. Otherwise, you may prefer to stuff pieces as you near the end of crocheting them.
Tips to help you Succeed with this CAL:
- Join my Crocheting Treasures facebook group, so we can see each other's progress and get feedback!
- Join my email newsletter list and follow me on my social sites, so you don't miss any steps.
- Share this CAL with your favourite crochet groups and friends.
- Gather all the materials you'll need.
- Ask for help if you need it. I am always happy to help!
Part 1: Supplies & Pattern Notes (YOU'RE HERE)
- Part 2: Lion's Arms, Legs & Tail (Thursday, September 3rd, 2015)
- Part 3: Lion's Body (Sunday, September 6th, 2015)
- Part 4: Lion's Facial Features (Thursday, September 10th, 2015)
- Part 5: Lion's Head (Sunday, September 13th, 2015)
- Part 6: Lion's Mane (Thursday, September 17th, 2015)
- Share Your Abayomi Lion CAL Photo Contest (Sunday, September 20th-October 9th, 2015)
The Amigurumi Abayomi Lion crochet pattern is also available as a PDF for a small cost. Your purchase of the PDF version helps to support me and this blog, so I can continue to do what I love and bring you more fun patterns.
Thanks so much for your hard work!