Worked from the top-down in mainly single crochet stitches, this simple pattern can easily be customized to be whatever you want it to be. Whether you make a simple tee, a beautiful dress or add your own flair to the skirt of the dress, you’ll soon have a new simply bluetiful dress to add to your collection!
- a small amount (75-125m approx.) of cotton thread #10 - USE ANY COLOUR YOU LIKE
- 1.7mm hook - depending on your tension, a 1.65mm or a 1.75mm will work too
- tapestry/yarn needle
- a small metal snap, or fastener of choosing
- sewing needle & matching thread for attaching snap
Abbreviations: ~US Terms Used~
ch(s) - chain(s)
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
f/o - fasten off
lp(s) - loop(s)
rep - repeat
rem - remaining
rnd - round
sk - skip
sl st - slip stitch
sp(s) - space(s)
st(s) - stitch(es)
Working in sc – 9 sts x 12 rows = 1" (2.5cm)
Designed to fit the 2013 model of the 5 1/2" Chelsea fashion doll by Mattel.
- Odd rows = RS
- For rows 1-6, the left side will have 3 extra sts. These extra sts create an overlap so you can place a fastener of your choosing there.
- ch 3 at the beginning of a row = first dc of row
- When there is no stitch count present at the end of a row, this means it has the same number of stitches as the previous row.
- This pattern is worked in one piece from top-down using mostly sc. Working from top-down allows you to make your own special changes and customizations for the bottom of the dress. Make this dress any length you like or make a simple tee instead by stopping after any row you like... Feel free to get creative!
Girl Dress Instructions:
row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook & next ch, sc 2 in next ch, sc 5, sc 2 in next ch, sc 4, [sc 2 in next ch, sc 5] x 2, turn (29 sts)
row 2: ch 3, dc 4, dc 2 in next st, ch 4, sk 7 sts, sc 2 in next st, sc 4, sc 2 in next st, ch 4, sk 7 sts, dc 2 in next st, dc 2, ch 1, turn (27 sts)
row 3: sc 4, sc 4 over chs, sc 8, sc 4 over chs, sc 7, ch 1, turn
row 4-6: sc 27, ch 1, turn
For the next row, you will be switching from rows to rnds...
rnd 7: Overlap first 3 sts & last 3 sts, so that the first 3 sts lay on top of the last 3 sts. Sc 3 over first 3 sts & last 3 sts to make a circle, sc 21 over rem sts, sl st join to first st of rnd (a.k.a. sl st join), ch 1, turn (24 sts)
rnd 8-9: sc 24, sl st join, ch 1, turn
rnd 10: sc 5, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 10, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 5, sl st join, ch 1, turn (28 sts)
rnd 11-14: sc 28, sl st join, ch 1, turn
rnd 15: sc 6, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 12, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 6, sl st join, ch 1, turn (32 sts)
rnd 16-21: sc 32, sl st join, ch 1, turn
rnd 22: sc 7, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 14, sc 2 in next 2 sts, sc 7, sl st join, ch 1, turn (36 sts)
rnd 23-29: sc 36, sl st join, ch 1, turn
*Make your dress longer or shorter by increasing or decreasing, respectively, the number of rep rows from row 23-29. Then, continue to row 30 to create a simple edging for the bottom of the dress...
rnd 30: (sc, ch 3, sc) rep around for a total of 18 times, sl st join, ch 1, f/o (18 ch sps)
Weave in ends. Sew snap or fastener of choosing to the top back where the 3 sts overlap.
There you have it!
A simply BLUEtiful dress for your favourite 5 1/2" doll.
If you've enjoyed this free crochet pattern, please spread the Love and share the Joy!
Tell me what you think! Leave me a comment below, give this pattern a rating and/or favourite this pattern on Ravelry...
*This crochet pattern has not yet been tested.
**PDF version of this crochet pattern will be made available once the "Simply BLUEtiful" series is complete and all dresses have been tested.
Do you have pictures of your simply BLUEtiful dresses? Come and share them with me on Ravelry, or my Crocheting Treasures facebook group!