She wanted three bunnies in neutral colours of creams and whites with light pink for the inner ears. So, I did them in these colours.
It took me a little longer than usual to crochet these bunnies because I failed to note the hook size, the double loop sizes, and a few other details from when I did them two years ago.
Plus, all of the excitement from my "Happily Ever After" crochet pattern release didn't help matters either.
The important thing is that they were finished a day before the deadline and they are now safely in the hands of the new owner.
I absolutely adore this stitch! It really makes amigurumis look even more cuddly - I know you love snuggly amis too... Plus, it is fairly easy to do once you get into the swing of it.
With that being said, there is one thing that I really don't like about this stitch. It uses lots of tension in both hands, especially the hook holding hand. This extra tension over time caused a really huge cramp and slight pain in my dominate hand. Which obviously is not really fun. So, it is not a stitch I would recommend that you use for a prolonged period of time like I just did crocheting all day for almost every single day.
For the head and body pieces, I use my index finger as a guide for the loop sizes. However, for the legs, tails and ears I wanted the loops to be smaller, so I used a pencil instead. It makes it slightly more complicated, and it takes more time to work since you have to pick up and drop the pencil every time a new stitch is worked, but it is easy to get the hang of it.
The ears are the most challenging pieces to crochet because they combine two different techniques at the same time - the double loop stitch and tapestry crochet. This means that the inner ear colour is carried underneath the double loop stitches for the first half of each round. Then, colours are switched, and for the second half of the round, the main colour is carried.
I ended up making a few changes to the original ones I did before. So, they ended up being slightly bigger though still about 5" in length.
I decided to use a larger hook size for these ones since the double loop stitch really helps to fill in the holes that using a bigger hook sometimes makes. I also added pipe cleaners to the ears to help to shape them better.
Here are the many views of each one...
I have been debating whether or not I want to turn this into a pattern. If I did decide to do it, I would probably need to make a video tutorial of it. Also, I would need to test it out with some worsted weight yarn to see how the double loop stitches would need to be done for those.
If you all really want the pattern for this, I will put it on the list of things to do, and I would either make it free on the blog, or as part of the freebie just for my special newsletter subscribers.